November 18, 2008

Cake and Kleenex

For the first time in my recollection, I was sick on my birthday. When I woke up with a sore throat and a suspicious-feeling nose, it dawned on me that sickness didn’t really care if it was my birthday or not. Everyone was still asleep, so I stayed in bed until I heard K&K wake up and they came with hugs and birthday greetings. As the morning progressed and the lunch at Chef Rick’s with the family got closer, I felt a bit better. In fact, I didn’t even need any Kleenex at lunch. After lunch, I took a nap and woke up worse than before. I ventured out of doors with Mom to go birthday shopping at Target and then dinner at Olive Garden and was completely miserable until Mom opened her in-purse pharmacy and gave me some drugs. (Also, a certain guy came by and that helped a lot…) On the way home Mom and I stopped at Starbucks to get my free birthday drink (yay for having a Starbucks Gold card!). As soon as I got home I climbed in bed and fell asleep, waking up around ten. I got online and chatted with Alice, who decided I needed get-well assistance. Less than a half hour later he was outside my door with a bag full of healing goodies. Four different kinds of chapstick, Vitamin C, throat drops (also known as miracles in wrappers), a get-well card and a gift card for iTunes. I’m pretty sure it was one of the most practical and thoughtful presents I’ve ever been given.

My day in numbers:

1 sore throat
1 unhappy nose
1 Chef Rick + 1 family + 1 quesadilla + 1 slice of amazing birthday cake + getting to blow out a candle = Happy
1 million+ Kleenex
1 whole lot of text messages
1 Cinnamon Dolce from Starbucks
1 birthday phone call from Germany
2 naps
2 bowls of hot Zuppa Toscana
3 birthday songs sung to me
3 times I saw Alice
5 birthday/get-well hugs
6 birthday phone calls from the USA
6 people I know who saw me sick in public (sorry…)
6 songs bought on iTunes today
19 years I’ve been alive

~VL~

3 comments:

Brittany Mae said...

So did you get anything at Target? Being sick on your birthday is just no fun:(

Veralynn said...

Yes, I got some new iPod earphones and the fourth season of Gilmore Girls...so much for getting clothes! :)
Did you find anything?

Brittany Mae said...

I didn't really find anything, but I love just wandering around Target! haha. I'm glad you found some stuff though:)