December 30, 2008

Year in Review

I'm sitting in Subway in Orcutt (who knew they had free wifi?) listening to the P.S. I Love You soundtrack and thinking over this last year, 2008. This blog was originally going to be a lot more organized and systematic but I'm on the iPod and it's a bit of tricky business wielding this touch keyboard. So you're getting a ramble.
Let's see. I didn't make any New Year's resolutions last year because I had an amazing Chinese calendar and it was destroyed by a sibling and I was determined that it didn't bode well for the year so why bother being resolute about anything anyway? 2008 definitely was unpredictable: my first trip out of the US was definitely the landmark, though not the highlight. This year seemed so slow most of the time but has really flown by.
On Sunday at college group we talked about this one verse in Phillipians tha talks about forgetting what is behind and striving for what is ahead, and I think that's going to be most applicable for me this year. In a lot of ways, 2008 was a pretty icky year. But it's been a pretty fabulous year, too. I've learned a lot: how to decline marriage proposals from eastern European men, for example; how to survive on pretzels...(even I, the Carb Queen, wanted veggies after that!) This is the year of the Late Service. The year the college group has stopped being sad and started being awesome. The year of the advent of Alice. The year my heart was melted by a little man named Paul. The year I realized that K&K are going to be way taller than I will ever aspire to be (sad).
I'm excited for 2009- more coming soon.

2 comments:

Michael said...

And what of Parker? (cough, cough)

Veralynn said...

Parker is Alice, and his advent is one of the highlights of this year- probably tied with the discovery of German pretzels. He may have a little advantage...