March 20, 2011

Weekend Film Review

This weekend was the first of the Spring season, yet has been absolutely heavy with rain. (Ironically, Christmas day was as bright and cheery as springtime! Go figure.) Feeling like I had a sore throat coming on, I cuddled under the blankets and movies became my best friend as the rain poured outside and the dogs lay warm in the hallway. I recalled my yet-to-see list and was thrilled to find I am Love (Io Sono L'Amore) was available instantly on Netflix. After watching this film, I couldn't help but be intrigued by Tilda Swinton- who knew she speaks Italian? It was definitely a change in character from her version of the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but a transformation I quite enjoyed. I also thought the scenes of Italy in I am Love were just decadent! From Milan to Sanremo, the architecture and views were constantly beautiful (and had me regretting that I did not travel there when I lived in Munich) and enhanced the story of the wealthy but repressed Emma Recchi, a woman who has kept her family together for so many years yet ultimately watches it fall apart as she seeks personal freedom outside her marriage. Perhaps the most enjoyable experience of this movie was in the way the story was presented; the plot wasn't made obvious or spoon-fed to the audience as many are lately. There were more looks and knowing glances and less words. I had no idea how the story would end and that is just how I like to feel while watching any film- captivated.

Leave a comment here!

~VLP~

1 comment:

Sienna said...

i am obsessed with this movie. i think i was sold when the opening credits thanked "fendi"