January 6, 2012

Life with Miles- Week 1

This week feels like it's gone by in a blink. I keep trying to remember every little detail about his birth (it makes me tear up just thinking about it) and savoring these moments of him as a newborn baby- even if that means consciously reminding myself during the wee hours of the morning during his cycle of eatdiapersleep- since before I know it he'll be on to the next stage of life.

To me, Miles is perfect- his sweet baby smell, his curious eyes soaking in the new world around him, his chubby cheeks, the way he rests his hands on his tummy contentedly after a full meal. He is really a mellow little man. He doesn't like getting his diaper changed (but who does?), but that's really about all he fusses about. He likes to ride in the car and in his stroller and he loves to be swaddled.

Parker has been great in taking care of Miles. He has become Super Dad! He's taken over a few times already so I can run an errand or get Starbucks by myself. We've both been on different cycles of energy and sleep-deprivation but I think that's a good thing so we can help each other out in getting rest or just a little time away for ourselves. In regards to our relationship, I feel very close to Parker and feel that since Miles has arrived we've become more of a team. I look at Miles in awe- to think that he is an offshoot of us is incredible to me.

That's not to say that having a newborn baby is without its challenges; we had a momentary setback with breastfeeding in the beginning that's better now and are currently dealing with a bout of thrush which is on the mend. We're of course a bit tired as well, but it's so worth it. We've also had some really funny moments at the changing table (read: stay out of the splash zone and projectile poo!) but we're getting better at anticipating these antics!

There's also encouraging aspects of new mommyhood. I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight and can zip up my jeans no problem! This came a lot faster than I expected and I am not complaining one bit. I'm looking forward to being able to exercise again, too.

On to week two! And hopefully some more naps. :)
Leave a comment here!

~VP~

No comments: