June 19, 2012

Unwanted Baggage & My Favorite Two Diet Tips

Scale say what now?!
There's no nice way to say this- I may have partied just a little too hard on National Doughnut Day, because lately I've noticed a little extra muffin on my muffin top. It's become a regular on what I've affectionately dubbed The Cycle of Sad, which is the best way to describe how I feel as my hormones are regulating themselves post-breastfeeding. You see, I didn't really gain that much weight during pregnancy (don't hate me- I was super sick for most of it). Once Miles was born, I lost all of it almost right away and was below my pre-pregnancy weight about a week afterward (okay, you can hate me a little). I'm sure it was breastfeeding, because now that I'm not really effectively producing or nursing, there is a noticeable difference in my weight. And has anyone else noticed that you gain weight in crazy weird places post-baby? It seems like everything just...I don't know...sits differently? Maybe that's just me. Anyway, The Cycle of Sad isn't helping. It goes like this:

Step 1. I'm sad about the whole breastfeeding thing.
Step 2. I should eat a pretzel.
Step 3. That was tasty, but now I feel sad and chubby.
Step 4. Ugh. I don't feel like exercising because I feel sad and chubby. I also probably shouldn't have had that cookie and Dr. Pepper for lunch. 
Step 5. Repeat.

So I've started implementing my two favorite diet tips which are so simple. They totally work, though! Firstly, eat oat bran or oats for breakfast. Plain. (I mean, you can add hot water but don't add sugar or anything...and if you have to add sweetener, at least don't use Splenda! That stuff is no bueno.) And secondly, don't eat past seven o' clock at night. That one is the toughie for me. But trust me, it makes a huge difference. 

Here's to hoping The Cycle of Sad turns into The Cycle of Awesome soon! Plus, I'm looking forward to having a Mamas Morning In with Becky, Morgan, and Whitney tomorrow- those ladies always bring a smile to my face. :)


5 comments:

Whitney @ The Sweetest Things said...

I completely understand this post! I've been gaining all that below pre pregnancy weight back and I hate it!! But I so love my dr pepper iced coffees and donuts! Looking forward to hanging with you tomorrow! It will be fun indeed!!

chrystal said...

I hate the cycle of guilt... i feel like crap so i eat a chocolate chip cookie (maybe 3) then i feel fat afterwards and jump on a scale, as if that matters, and then want to eat more!!! not to mention the fat in weird places, hello lunch lady arms!

lisacng said...

Sad cycles, no good! Here's to the Awesome cycle! A good filling breakfast is a great tip. I love enjoying a healthy breakfast with my son each morning. If I wouldn't feed it to him, I wouldn't eat it is my motto these days. My son's 22 months and I'm just beginning to feel like myself again physically. Due in part to me going back to the gym too and watching what I eat. Good luck girl! You look fab as you are -- for real!

Veralynn said...

@ Whitney- mmm...donuts...

@ Chrystal- OMG "lunch lady arms"...I just almost died.

@Lisa- That's a great motto- if you wouldn't feed it to your son, you don't eat it! Thanks for the encouraging words- PS I'm really loving your blog!

lisacng said...

Aw, thanks! I'm LOVIN yours!