August 28, 2012

Old School

photo credit
So, like I mentioned in my most recent post, I'm back at school for the semester. All my classes are online, and I can tell you that one of the most interesting aspects of taking distance courses is that you get a great idea of your fellow classmates' abilities to communicate in the written word. Maybe it's because I was brought up by the grammar police or because I've always been a stickler for correct spelling (apple meet tree?), but sometimes it's really surprising how little thought some people give as to how they come across when all the audience can see is what they've written. This had me thinking about other forms of communication that may seem "old school" but, to me, will never become outdated. Here's a couple:


Pen and paper: There's something so nice about receiving a hand-written note or taking time to brainstorm on paper (I carry a little book with me always to jot down ideas that come to mind throughout the day). Just look at Ramona from RHONY- she carries notepads and even got her taxi driver to start putting one to good use! (This is probably the first and last time it's a good idea to do anything Ramona does.) Bonus- Etsy has so many great stationery brands (I'm loving these cards from B.Impressed!)


A good old fashioned phone call: We all have busy lives and I know it's so much more convenient to text or send an email, but when's the last time you called someone just to see how they're doing? I'm making more of an effort to call friends and it's so much more personal. (If you don't have time for a full-length conversation, I suggest the Voxer walkie-talkie app for your phone. It's one of my favorite apps- I use it so much!)

What's your favorite "old school" way to communicate? If you say carrier pigeons, I will be super impressed.

6 comments:

Taara said...

Snail Mail. When was the last time you received a card, letter or package in the mail? (that wasn't from amazon ;))

Sable Weisman said...

I love sending and receiving snail mail =) Call me old-fashioned but I just think it's a nicer gesture than e-mail!

Naptime Review said...

So true! I tried to call my hair lady to reschedule but she just wanted to go back and forth through texting. Annoying!

Hope you are having a great week ;)
www.thenaptimereview.com

lisacng said...

Carrier pigeons, you are hilarious! It is rather atrocious for what passes as "writing" these days. It's the increased use of email, texting, and acronyms that has people stuck in a rut. They don't realize that when you're writing an essay or report, you have to change the way you write compared with writing an email or an "LOL". I agree that using the phone is something I should do more of. I don't remember the last time I used the phone, except for making a conference call at work. How sad, right? Well, hope you find success in making more phone calls to family and friends!

Dalayna Dillon said...

I LOVE getting handwritten letters. They just mean so much more when you know there was time and thought put into them. Visiting you from the GFC blog hop. I am happy to be a new GFC follower. Looking forward to following you and your blog. I blog over at www.dalaynadillon.blogspot.com, so come on over and see me sometime ;)
Just wanted to let you know about the coffee mug swap I have going on right now with Brittney from Yellow Umbrella Designs. This is a mug swap with a twist, it allows for more networking to go on. I would love to have you join in on all the fun! Here are all the details on it:
http://yellowumbrelladesign.blogspot.com/2012/08/coffee-mug-swap.html
Talk to ya soon :D
Dalayna

Dalayna Dillon said...

I LOVE getting handwritten letters. They just mean so much more when you know there was time and thought put into them. Visiting you from the GFC blog hop. I am happy to be a new GFC follower. Looking forward to following you and your blog. I blog over at www.dalaynadillon.blogspot.com, so come on over and see me sometime ;)
Just wanted to let you know about the coffee mug swap I have going on right now with Brittney from Yellow Umbrella Designs. This is a mug swap with a twist, it allows for more networking to go on. I would love to have you join in on all the fun! Here are all the details on it:
http://yellowumbrelladesign.blogspot.com/2012/08/coffee-mug-swap.html
Talk to ya soon :D
Dalayna